Bangladesh Air Force upgrading Mig-29 into Mig-29SMT
Bangladesh Air Force is finally upgrading it's fleet of Mig-29SE into Mig-29SMT standardBangladesh Air Force is currently has 8 Mig-29.Bangladesh's two neighbour Indai has 69 Mig-29UPG and Myanmar has 31 Mig-29B/C.
India previously offered Bangladesh to upgrade it's Mig-29 into Mig-29SMT.The deal was not finalized.
Currently Myanmar is showing very aggressive behavior towards Bangladesh.Myanmar is fearing that Bangladesh may invade Myanmar.They are planning to buy 24 Mig-35 or Su-35 in 2014.USD 1 Billion has been allocated for buying Aircraft in 2014's budget.
After Upgrding into Mig-29SMT they will be able to fire R-77 BVR Missile.Bangladesh bought several R-77 BVR missile in 2013.
MiG-29SMT main features:
– Modern high precision weapons of "A-S" class are included into the weapons nomenclature. It is provided for the weapons nomenclature enhancement during aircraft life cycle.
– The aircraft is equipped with multifunctional multi-mode pulse-Doppler airborne "Zhuk-ME" radar manufactured by "Fazotron-NIIP" Corporation. The radar is provided with a slot antenna array. As compared with the airborne radar of the previous generation the "Zhuk-ME" has enhanced scanning angles in azimuth, twice increased detection range, less weight and higher reliability. The "Zhuk-ME" radar provides for tracking up to 10 air targets with capability of simultaneous firing of 4 targets with missiles.
– The airborne avionics of the MiG-29SMT aircraft is designed following the principle of open architecture on the basis of a mission computer with the data exchange multiplex channel (bus of MIL STD 1553B standard). It allows to install aboard the aircraft the new systems of Russian or foreign origin at the customer’s request.
– The cockpit data display system includes two new wide-screen MFD-10-6 multifunction color displays and realizes the HOTAS conception.
– INS-GPS navigation system is included into the navigation equipment.
– The aircraft is equipped with in-flight refueling system.